Total Pageviews

Sunday, April 15, 2012

The stage is set for benchwork to begin......

Having reached the milestone I mentioned last post, I have not rested, other than the occiasional train running.

While finishing off the remainder of the paper towel and glue I was also working on how I was going to dress the front of the layout and hide the mess that is usually under a layout. I needed the curtain to also follow the facia and not gape in places on its trip around the facia.

the end product before scenery and facia painting

I needed the services of an expert, and trusty old mum came to the rescue and sowed the curtains for me. The secret is that she sowed a (rod pocket ) along the top and then hemmed the bottom.

The other part of the secret is I used 16mm conduit as a curtain rail running on the inside of the facia all the way around. This rod is supported by hooks that fix to the facia supports and the curtain is notched out where there is a hook. Each curtain is about 3m long and I think will do the trick nicely. Great work mum.

Well I was right, the tools were calling and that means benchwork extensions. My preferred method is to construct the frames acouple at a time, this speeds assembly as they are all cut out on my benchsaw at once.

70 by 19 screwed and glued

I have mentioned else where the steel leg construction method. I also cut and assemble these in advance to save time.

Then the assembled 2400 by 400 module complete with attached backdrop is shifted from the workshop into the layout room.

shifted into placed, bolted then level

The same process takes place again ......

both modules are in place with storage shelving underneath, there is another peninsular to be built and it will go where the current module of my ex display layout is!!!

My ex display layout 'More' is starting to really get in the way as can be seen by the above shot. This was the first module built back in 1999 on the floor of my shed and was first exhibited in May 2000, I guess it brings back some great memories........., but I digress.

I tend to get a bit carried away at times with, to far forward planning and this shows in the below photo. This is the last station modelled on the 'branch' and will be loosely based on Nimmitabel. Apart from the curving away to the left I will be able to replicate the track plan entirely.

Heading north from here will head into staging.

paper templates make marking out and planning so much easier

While keeping myself busy with all the above I offered, back in October last year to make a 'train control' dispatcher panel for Craig aka Ca55ino. It has been over 10 years since I made the last one for the Logan Model Railway club and now I remember why.

Thanks must go to my wife for her assistance in the finishing stages as without her I would be cross eyed.

thankfully Mr XXXX assisted as well

This weekend I will be assisting Geoff with his acclaimed "Splitters Swamp Creek" at Moree 150 year celebrations. If you are in the area, drop in and say hello. Geoff, Brendan and myself will be more than happy to have a chat.

Until next time.

1 comment:

  1. I completely missed this one Darren! Looking good so far and can't wait to see the progress in person.